Chorley Borough Council
Commissioned to develop a Football Foundation application for the development of the following facilities on an open parkland site with no other infrastructure:
- a full-sized, fenced and floodlit 3G artificial grass pitch (AGP) with an adjoining polymeric sprint straight;
- natural turf grass pitch improvements; and
- the development of a new standalone changing pavilion along with substantial car parking and a new highway access.
SWA spent a significant amount of time in design development balancing the needs of the various (and sometimes conflicting) site users. Having agreed to an overall site plan and the details of the individual elements, SWA prepared and submitted an application to secure full planning approval for all elements to be developed on this site including the AGP designs, playing pitch improvements, pavilion, car parking and highway access.
The project involved negotiating with UU for a sewer diversion, with Lancashire County Council for drainage and highway works, as well as managing a full range of surveys.
SWA prepared detailed tender documents for the new changing pavilion plus car park and access works and administered the tender process in consultation with the Council’s procurement team.
We prepared and submitted a successful Football Foundation application including substantial consultation with local football clubs, Chorley School Sport Partnership, the County FA and organisations working with hard-to-reach groups, resulting in a Football Foundation award of nearly £650,000.
Having prepared all specifications and contract documents, SWA was commissioned to undertake Project Management, Principal Designer and Employers Agent functions in the administration of the changing pavilion, car parking and access works, and separately for the natural turf playing pitch improvements (under separate contract). In addition, SWA was given oversight of the whole site development to ensure its separate elements worked together as a whole.
Subsequently appointed to develop a management plan for the administration and running of the whole site after completion, SWA was tasked with bringing together football clubs, an athletics club, the School Sports Partnership and Council development staff.
The whole project was funded in the main by S106 monies but with a £647,595 award from the Football Foundation. The value of the works was as follows:
- £ 860,014 – a full sized fenced and floodlit 3G AGP with polymeric sprint straight;
- £1,116,020 – new changing pavilion, access and car park works;
- £ 179,117 – grass pitch improvement works;
- £ 149,611 – other costs including all surveys, statutory fees, discharge of conditions and professional fees.
Prior to SWA’s engagement, the Council had been trying to deliver this scheme for more than a decade.
SWA was commissioned in May 2019 followed by design work, planning, funding submissions, tender process and contract administration.
Covid restrictions prevented an early start on site and disrupted progress.
- Pavilion, car park and access works – start on site August 2020 and reached practical completion May 2021;
- AGP development – start on site (delayed by sewer diversion) February 2021, due for completion July 2021.
- Grass playing pitch works – commenced August 2020 and now in establishment with handover due in August 2022.